The History of the Apalachin Library
The Apalachin library was founded in 1957. The Apalachin library was originally located on the front porch of Jan McGlade's home - 896 Main Street and was the "Depository of Books" which was then moved to the back room of George Rossen's Barber Shop at 109-111 Main Street and became our first lending library.
In 1960, the Lending Library was given the use of one room in the original Apalachin Schoolhouse on Pennsylvania Ave. This building was razed to make room for the Apalachin Fire Station.
The original Library Board was formed in 1967 - the Friends of the Apalachin Library. The baord is now called the Apalachin Library Association and there is also a Friends of Apalachin fundraising and booster group.
A year later, the Lending Library was moved to a donated space in the Apalachin Methodist Church at 303 Pennsylvania Ave. A short time later, the Lending Library moved into the old Grange building at 589 Main Street.
The Library became associated with the Finger Lakes Library System as the Apalacin Reading Center in 1970. The Reading Center was staffed by volunteers and Board members.
In 1982, the Grange Hall was razed and the Reading Center was moved into a 10 x 15 room at the Apalachin Elementary School.
Nine years later, the current Apalachin Library building is purchased and filled with books.
In the year 2008, The Apalachin Reading Center officially become the Apalachin Library.
The Apalachin Library has so much to offer !
A quiet place to read
Computers and Wireless
A meeting room
Many children's programs
Monthly book discussion groups
A summer reading program
Home use of our catalog
Maker Space programs
The mission of the Apalachin Library is to strive to provide resources and services to meet the recreational, informational, educational, and cultural needs of the residents of Apalachin and the surrounding area.